Open Stage Media (OSM) is not to be considered a censor of any program material. OSM’s only obligation is to ensure that all Local, State and Federal laws are respected regarding programs shown on the access channels.
Presentation of the following material on OSM channels is prohibited:
Advertising material designed to:
• promote the sale of any product or service.
• commercial programming which in whole or in part depicts, demonstrates, or discusses products, services or businesses with the intent or substantial effect of benefiting or enhancing a profit-making enterprise.
• any material which identifies any product, service, trademark, or brand name in a manner that is not reasonably related to the non-commercial use of such a product, service, trademark, or brand name on the program.
Advertising material shall include, but not be limited to, references during the program, to a monetary purchase price, a publication, a telephone number or a website, link, or E-mail address.
The use of a phone number, E-mail address or website is permitted as a reference at the end of the cablecast program but only on the condition that it be used to obtain additional information.
Under no circumstances can it be used for:
• advertising material
• the direct solicitation or appeals for funds or other things of value for any and all purposes
• political endorsements or advertising by or on behalf of candidates for public office, material which is defined as legally obscene.
• Any programming which constitutes or promotes any gambling enterprise in a manner which is in violation of any applicable local, state or federal laws.
• Material which constitutes libel, slander, invasion of privacy or publicity rights, unfair competition, violation of trademark or copyright, or which may violate any local, state or federal law.
• Material which has a reasonable probability of creating an immediate danger or damage to property or injury to persons, or of creating a public nuisance, or inciting a riot.
• Material or programming which has a reasonable probability of causing the substantial obstruction of law enforcement or other governmental functions or services.
• When program content violations are brought to OSM’s attention, OSM shall take such steps as are necessary to comply with FCC regulations and applicable City, State and Federal laws.
Offensive Content Disclaimer
Throughout the day OSM runs disclaimers which advise viewer discretion when viewing our channels. Furthermore, we advise our viewers that OSM is not responsible for the content of any program. As a general rule, a Public Access facility cannot reject a program because of its content, nor can they screen programs in advance unless there is reason to believe that a law has been broken.
Open Stage Media (OSM) is an independent public access corporation. The programs that are cablecast on our channels are produced by volunteer community producers and providers for the benefit of the residents of Schenectady. We are obligated, under current Federal Law and the Cable Franchise Agreement, to respect the First Amendment rights of all access producers whether or not we agree with the subject matter. Access producers are community volunteers and not employees of OSM; the opinions expressed in the program that you watched do not reflect the views of this company.
Cablecast time on OSM’s channels is provided free of charge to the community. In addition, OSM provides cameras, switching equipment, a production studio and training to Schenectady residents who are interested in exercising their First Amendment rights. However, we are no more responsible for the content of programs that air on our channels than a librarian is responsible for the content of books on the library’s shelf.
For over twenty years, Public Access Television has been a fixture on the American landscape. The public is provided a tiny window in the enormous wall of electronic communications to express their opinions. These opinions and other forms of expression are protected under the First Amendment to the Constitution.
Community Television is a valuable resource where people of all races, religions and varying opinions can express themselves freely. We also serve not-for-profit groups, educational institutions and many grass roots organizations seeking to have their voices heard.
Proof of Residency
Open Stage Media, in compliance with local and State law, requires all producers, providers and sponsors of programming to have on file proof that they reside in The City of Schenectady or Niskayuna.
Proof of residency is required for all individuals submitting programs to OSM. This includes Series programs (monthly or weekly) and stand-alone Specials.
All Producers, Providers and Sponsors submitting programming to OSM for cablecast must have their proof of residency on file.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO USE OSM?
You are eligible to apply if you are a legal City of Schenectady or Town of Niskayuna resident with a legal bona- fide resident address. You must be able to verify your residency by providing two proofs of address and City, State, Federal or Employee Photo ID.
The following combinations of proof are acceptable:
- A New York State Driver’s license and two current utility bills (within the last 6 months),
- A New York State Photo I.D. (a.k.a. a “non-driver’s license”) and two current utility bills (within the last 6 months),
- A United States or foreign issued Passport and two utility bills (within the last 6 months),
- A City, State, Federal or Employee Photo ID and two current utility bills (within the last 6 months),
- Current College or High School Photo ID and two proofs of address. (Must be 18 years of age or older),
- Copy of 501(c)3 (Not-For-Profit organizations only).
Employees or Members of a not-for-profit organization seeking training are also required to verify their address as well as their association with said organization.
To use OSM’s equipment, facilities or channel space you must be 18 years of age or older. For safety and security reasons, no one under 14 years of age is allowed on OSM premises unless supervised.”